Saturday, 01 November 2008 17:10
Ohio's Polymer and Agriculture Industries: A Winning Combination
The Ohio BioProducts Innovation Center (OBIC). A unique research alliance working to integrate academia and industry toward the development of renewable specialty chemicals, polymers/plastics, and advanced materials. OBIC, headquartered at The Ohio State University, was initiated with a $11.5 million Third Frontier award in 2005 by the Ohio Department of Development (ODOD). Members contributed $22 million of leverage for the following initiatives:
- Targeting investments to enhance research capabilities
- Fostering innovation through industry/academic networks to address industry needs
- Focus on plant germplasm, platform feedstocks, and chemical conversion and application development processes
- Strong technology platforms in soy oil, biobased fiber, and natural rubber
- Collaboration on new Third Frontier Grant Opportunities
- Company Attraction Program to assist business to locate in Ohio
With Ohio's two largest industries being polymers and agriculture, Ohio is a prime location for a bioproduct industry to thrive.
Ohio Bioproducts Innovation Center (OBIC). Learn more.